First produced in 2000 at Charybdis in Chicago
In 500 Clown Macbeth, three clowns descend upon a stage to perform Shakespeare’s Scottish Play. Infected by ambition, they compete for the role of Macbeth. In the process, the clowns destroy the text, the set, and eventually each other.
Outrageous humor and ape-shit acrobatics…
- Time Out Chicago
- "And with little more than a few choice lines from the original, some brazenly deconstructed ad-libs, a hospital emergency room’s worth of death-defying gymnastics and off-the-wall stunts, plus a ferociously twisted sense of anarchy, they have turned ‘the Scottish play’ into something fast, furious and insanely true to its core."
- Hedy Weiss, Chicago Sun-Times
- "500 Clown knows better than any other comparable group I’ve seen how to build instant community in a theater."
- Chris Jones, Chicago Tribune
- "The company has a certain comic intellectualism that manages to be smart without being pretentious, allowing it to occupy the pretty rare space of easily accessible avent-garde."